POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Games programmers : Re: Games programmers Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Games programmers
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Sep 2008 11:20:30
Message: <48ca88be$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:

> Yes indeed, and if you look at what he writes about C it is not that he
> has problems with imperative languages in general but with this one for
> particular reasons.

I can write you programs in BASIC, Pascal, SDL, Tcl, Java, JavaScript,
PostScript, or even assembly if I have to. (Depends which processor.
Obviously.) But C and a few other highly complex and messy languages are
more than even I can cope with.

> For fun I tried babelfish:
> Ik werkelijk begrijp niet waarom u het zo vindt hard om C. te leren. Er
> is slechts een uiterst klein aantal kernverklaringen (als als, terwijl,
> terugkeer enz.) en de syntaxis van hen allen is zeer gelijkaardig. Hoe
> te om functies te schrijven moet u enkel leren, maar dat is het zelfde
> voor om het even welke taal. Schrijven van wiskundige formules is ook
> zeer gemakkelijk en gelijkaardig aan bijna elke andere taal die (+ -/*
> enz. gebruikt). Als u geavanceerder wilt worden, dan leer om series te
> behandelen en welke & en * (vrij gemakkelijke dingen zich te herinneren,
> niet bij allen complex), en u bent vrij veel plaatst om 99.999% van de
> code van C - met inbegrip van dingen als daar te begrijpen terwijl (*v++
> = *s++); Wat is het probleem?

My God... It's... It's like... [I'm searching for the HGTTG quote]...
It's like a psuedo-random assortment of letters!

Mind you, I would think _every_ language looks like that until you
understand the rules. ;-)

> Even after adjusting the grammar (Ik begrijp werkelijk niet waarom u het
> zo hard/moeilijk vindt om C. te leren...) it will still be on the edge
> of comprehensible and not something any Dutchman would write.

For fun, I tried translating from and then to English with various
phrases on Google Translate. This yielded such gems as

   "Leave the impact price-increase your body."

I cannot even begin to imagine how the hell it arrived at that... ;-)

With experimentation, it seems that the translation FROM English to
German significantly breaks sentences, while the translation the other
way is moderately reliable.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/